Monday 11 August 2014

One Hundred Proposals by Holly Martin


Is there really such a thing as a perfect proposal?

Over the next hundred days I intend to find out. I will find one hundred ways to propose to our Chief Proposer Suzie McKenzie and post the results here for your enjoyment. One thing’s for sure, not one of my proposals will be on top of the Eiffel Tower with a dozen red roses.’

Best friends Suzie and Harry are partners in romance. That is, they run the.PerfectProposal.com, coming to the aid of would-be grooms to create the ultimate marriage proposal.

But when Harry decides to catapult the business into the big leagues with a PR stunt all Suzie can see is a hundred days of heartbreak stretching ahead of her. But however exotic the location, or breath-takingly romantic the setting, Suzie has to keep remembering that ‘Marry Me?’ is the one question she can’t say yes to.

This business proposal should come with one hundred broken heart warnings...

One hundred proposals, one hundred chances to say yes.






I have had Holly's previous book 'The Guestbook' sitting on my Kindle for a while now and still haven't got around to reading it. I was about to when I saw this book had been released, it was a toss up between the two but as soon as I saw the hype surrounding this and the praise it was getting I had to choose this one. Plus I am a sucker for romance and proposals so that won me over too!

All I can say after reading this book is WOW!!! I tried writing this review as soon as I finished reading it so I could put every emotion that I just felt into it but it has proved to be quite impossible, I can't some up how I feel in any way that could be made sense of. I feel as though what just happened in this book happened to me and now that it's over a part of me is missing. Whatever Holly Martin has just done I don’t think I’ll ever be the same again. This book is PERFECT! It has to be the most romantic, heart-breaking, emotional, amazing book I have ever read. I will never be able to say exactly how much I loved this book and I know my review will probably never do it justice so just go buy it and feel everything for yourself, I promise you it will be the best thing you have ever read.

As soon as I read the blurb I knew it was something I would love, it sounded so romantic and intriguing that eventually I thought it can’t be as good as it seems. I was wrong, so wrong, this book deserves every bit of praise it gets as does Holly for her wonderful writing. 
I finished this book in 3 days and that was too long because I wanted to spend every waking moment reading it. All I could think about was what was going to happen, what the next proposal would be, if they would confess their love for each other. Holly’s writing is beautiful and that is why you get so sucked into the story so quickly, there is such emotion and it seems so effortless. The thought and imagination that has gone into this book well and truly pays off. 

The characters of Suzie and Harry are so like-able, although it is written from Suzie's perspective we get to know Harry through her and through his blog posts about each proposal. This is such a genius way of getting to know a character and it makes you love them both equally. Throughout the whole book I was aching for them to tell each other how they feel and it broke my heart slightly when Suzie had to turn down the proposals that she so desperately wants to say yes to, due to not realising the real reason behind them. I was willing her to tell Harry how she felt right from the start but the fact that she doesn't makes the book so much better. They are the perfect two people to have as main characters, they bounce off and complement each other perfectly. What is also great about them is that they are real, you can easily imagine them as real people, especially Suzie who is clumsy and awkward but so love-able, and I think that really helps in keeping you hooked to the story.

Holly takes you on a journey around the world to each and every beautiful place with Suzie and Harry. She describes everything perfectly that if you closed your eyes you would think you were there. Each of the proposals are beautiful and romantic from the small intimate ones to the huge gestures, they all make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Each one was made so personal to Suzie and each one I wanted her to say yes to, I couldn't stop thinking ‘surely this is the best he can do’, then again and again he would prove me wrong. The proposals made the book so enjoyable, you just couldn't wait to find out what the next one would be and what Suzie’s reaction would be.

This story has you hooked from the very first page, the way it is written, set out, the plot, the ideas, emotion, everything in this book is perfect and there is nobody that wouldn't love this. It has everything you want from a chic-lit novel and so much more, you can laugh out loud, cry and shout when reading it and although you think you can kind of guess the ending you still aren't sure right up until the end if it will work out how you hoped.
This is one of those books that sucks you in so much you feel as though you are part of it, you can 100% escape reality with ease as this book makes you wonder if you are still reading or if this is your life.

Along with the wonderfulness of the story there were some lines in the book that makes my heart melt, the way Suzie and Harry spoke about each other, the love and emotion between them, they were so beautiful. My favourite of them all has to have been at the end when Harry says “I can give all you would-be proposers one piece of advice. Tell her you love her, tell her every day until she knows it and believes it. Then tell her every day anyway. If you’re incredibly lucky she’ll love you back.”

I know that this book will not leave me for a long time and it will definitely be one that I will read over and over again. I am now going to read The Guestbook after it’s lengthy wait on my Kindle as I am not ready to leave Holly’s writing just yet! This book I am sure will be a bestseller and I cannot wait to see what else Holly brings us in the future. If you haven’t read this book yet then please don’t wait any longer, go read it and you will feel how I feel now. This is the most perfect summer read. If you are one of those silly people that don’t believe in love or romance, read this book and you will soon think differently. I would give it all of the stars in the world if I could but for starters it gets my 5 stars! Thank you Holly for such a wonderful, wonderful book.



No comments:

Post a Comment