Wednesday 6 August 2014

From Paris With Love by Samantha Tonge


Every girl dreams of hearing those four magical words Will you marry me? But no-one tells you what’s supposed to happen next…

Fun-loving Gemma Goodwin knows she should be revelling in her happy-ever-after. Except when her boyfriend Lord Edward popped the question, after a whirlwind romance, although she didn’t say no….she didn’t exactly say yes either!

A month-long cookery course in Paris could be just the place to make sure her heart and her head are on the same page… And however disenchanted with romance Gemma is feeling, the City of Love has plenty to keep her busy; the champagne is decadently quaffable, the croissants almost too delicious, and shopping is a national past-time! In fact, everything in Paris makes her want to say Je t’aime… Except Edward!

But whilst Paris might offer plenty of distractions from wedding planning – including her new friends, mysterious Joe and hot French rockstar Blade - there’s no reason she couldn’t just try one or two couture dresses is there? Just for fun…





Thank you to Sam for sending me a copy of this book for review. I loved it! This is the first of Sam’s books I have read and it will definitely not be the last. Although it is a follow on from the first you don’t feel lost if you pick this one up first as it starts the story as if it is brand new and introduces the characters all over again.

I was in Paris myself in February so I am still sad at the fact that I’m back in the UK and everything is still pretty fresh, making this book so much more enjoyable for me to read as I could picture everything the way I remember it. Things that Gemma and Edward saw there (the building, landmarks etc.) are things that I saw whilst I was there, so I could picture them perfectly and it made me want to get myself back to Paris asap! The way Sam has described the whole city is wonderful, you could picture yourself walking down the Parisian streets and every detail was real. My fiancé even proposed to me shortly before we went! Although unlike Gemma, I said yes straight away ha!

The whole concept of the story is genius and makes the book kind of cross over genres with the classic chic-lit, the rom com and the James Bond elements to it. I don’t want to say too much because I want everybody to read it and be as amazed, fascinated and giggly as I was, but you just don’t know what will happen next throughout the story, will Gemma marry Edward?, will she prove herself as an MI6 agent? See how could you even guess what goes on in this book?! Yes the book has some far-fetched parts to it, which doesn’t always work but it does in this book, it brings something different, new and intriguing to the novel. There is also a great little twist at the end.

I really liked Gemma, she was somebody that if she was real I could see myself being friends with. She never asked too much of anybody, 
was down to earth, real and so likeable, which helps you to get sucked into the story and like you are experiencing her life in Paris and all of its highs and lows with her. You just can’t help but take her side through everything. I also loved how so obviously British she was among the French and her struggles with the language made for a few giggles. I am definitely going to pick up Doubting Abbey as I’m not ready to leave Gemma’s world just yet!

Sam is such a talented author and if this book is anything to go by I am definitely going to keep my eye out for her other books! I would recommend this book to anybody that fancies a bit of love, fun, food, silliness and Paris! It is a perfect summer read.




No comments:

Post a Comment