Thursday 5 June 2014

The Glow by Helen Whapshott


What would you do if you saw a ghost? Would you ignore it hoping it would fade away, or would you go up to it and see if it needed your help? When twelve year old Megan Webb discovers she has been gifted with The Glow, so called because it gives off a light, like a candle in a dimly lit room attracting ghosts, spirits, and others who belong to the supernatural and paranormal world, she has to learn to come to terms with seeing the world in a whole new way. And if this wasn't enough to deal with during the delicate years between childhood and adolescence, her parents makes the shocking decision to move her away from everything and everyone she knows to live in a creepy hotel inherited by a late aunt. But it isn't just the hotel that is creepy, the whole town seems a little odd until she makes friends with a strange boy, a Witch, and a chain-smoking spirit guide who help her adjust. Life couldn't get any more complicated … could it?



A big thank you to Helen for sending me a review copy of this wonderful novel! I loved it!

I finished The Glow in pretty much a day, it is so easy to get sucked into the story and such an easy read, it was fast paced and kept you hanging on and wondering what might happen next. The whole paranormal concept of the book is something completely new to me, I have never read anything like this before but I was not disappointed. Although it has the paranormal plot it still includes a lot of the traditional YA topics which I loved as it made the book relatable not just full of things that us ‘blands’ (you will have to read the book to know what that means) don’t understand.

Although the main character Megan is a lot younger than me I still found her relatable and the feelings she has when starting a new school etc, all reminded me of my first day at school and other early teen emotions. The way she acts in all of the situations that she is put in makes her seem so much older than she is, I think that’s what makes her relatable to anybody not just teenagers of her age.

I don’t know how Helen has done it but although it is a fantasy, paranormal book it feels real and nothing seems too far-fetched or made up! It is a mixture of a normal girl’s life and a strange unexpected power. The whole concept makes the book so much more imaginative, appealing and engaging.

It is a perfect quick read and if you are looking for some YA with a twist from the norm I would definitely pick this up! I can’t wait for the next in the series!


No comments:

Post a Comment