Thursday 26 June 2014

Prime Deception by Carys Jones


John Quinn, an investigative journalist on England’s biggest-selling and most notorious tabloid newspaper, is about to write the story of his life – a kiss-and-tell with one of the country’s most powerful men at its heart. But the story dies when Lorna Thomas, the kiss in his kiss-and-tell, kills herself on a quiet country road.

Unable to accept her twin’s suicide, Laurie Thomas follows in her sister’s footsteps to London and to the heart of government. And as she becomes more involved in Lorna’s world, she grows more convinced than ever that Lorna did not take her own life. But if Lorna didn’t kill herself, who did?




Thank you to Carys for sending me a copy of this book for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book, I loved how descriptive Carys was when describing Charles at the start of the book, we get a really good insight into his life and thoughts. The story starts in a very calm way which was interesting as I was expecting the story to jump straight in at the scene of Lorna’s crash, but I think starting the story this way makes it so much more intriguing. We learn right at the start that Charles doesn't like his job as the Deputy Prime Minister, is in a loveless marriage and has been having an affair with his much younger secretary.

Without saying too much as no matter what I say I will give something away, the book is about a young woman, Lorna, the Deputy Prime Minister’s secretary, who has killed herself by driving her car at speed into a tree, or so say the police. However, Lorna had a secret, could it be one that caused her death? Her twin sister Laurie is convinced that she was killed and takes matters into her own hands to try to find out exactly what happened. The whole time you are reading this book you can’t help but try to work it out for yourself what could have actually happened. You do find out what happened at the end and if it is murder, is the murderer somebody you expect? Read the book to find out!

We find out a lot about Lorna and Laurie through the life of Laurie and the problems that she faces following her sisters death. She is devastated by her sister’s death and her parents shut her out as she reminds them too much of Lorna. I really felt sorry for her and really wanted to help her out!

My favourite character is definitely Laurie, I love how she takes matters into her own hands and really shows how much her sister means to her, it is really nice and reminds me of my sister and that we would do the same in this kind of situation. I felt a strong dislike towards Charles’ wife Elaine, she doesn't love her husband, just clings onto him for his job and the stability and just drapes herself in designer clothes.

I would definitely recommend anybody that likes a book that has your brain working overtime! I found it very difficult to put this book down, it is a short story which you can get through in no time. This book went through so many emotions, shock, excitement and sadness being the main ones! If this book is anything to go by I am definitely going to read more by Carys as I adore her writing style and the life she put into this book! This could definitely be a bestseller!

No comments:

Post a Comment