Tuesday 21 July 2015

Don't Tell the Groom by Anna Bell


Bride-to-be Penny discovers that she’s lost £10,000 of wedding savings playing online bingo. So that she doesn’t have to reveal her gambling secret, she convinces her fiancé Mark that they should have a Don’t Tell the Groom themed wedding. Penny then has to plan a wedding fit for a princess on a shoestring budget. But, by the time she discovers that the true meaning of marriage isn’t a Vera Wang wedding dress or Jimmy Choos, will she still have a groom to marry?

I have had Don't Tell the Groom on my bookshelf for a while and now that I am in the middle of planning my own wedding I thought it would be fun to read. With how expensive wedding's are now, a lot more people are going down the budget wedding route. I love how this book is a novel, but also in a way it is a 'how to have the perfect budget wedding' help book.

Penny has always dreamed of having a perfect wedding with everything she ever dreamed of, especially a Vera Wang dress and Jimmy Choos. So when Mark finally proposes, Penny can't wait to start planning their special day. However, when she accesses their wedding fund she's shocked to find their once healthy account balance showing only five thousand pounds. Penny knows she might have played a few too many games of online bingo, but surely she didn't spend £10,000?
Penny knows from the start she can't tell Mark about the missing money or her gambling addiction, so she needs to get help. In the meantime, to keep Mark from seeing the small account balance, she comes up with 'Don't Tell the Groom' and convinces Mark that it would be more fun if she planned the wedding and he knew nothing about it. Everything seems perfect when Mark agrees, but can Penny stay within budget and make sure nobody discovers the real reason behind her plan?

This is the first novel by Anna Bell that I have read and I can't believe it took me so long to pick it up. It is the perfect chic-lit novel and I enjoyed it from start to finish. Anna manages to write such a romantic, funny and easy to read novel with what seems like such ease, the words just flow and it doesn't take you long to become hooked!
I liked to Penny from the very first page and like her I am planning my wedding on a budget, although for very different reasons lol! So it was interesting for me to read the book from the side of a reader, but also a wedding planner, to see what ideas she comes up with to stick to her budget. Although Penny has been quite selfish in the way she has lost the wedding money, she isn't a selfish person at all, you can see she is truly trying to make up for what she has done the best she can. I think most readers will be able to relate to Penny in one way or another, as I'm sure a lot of us have got ourselves into tricky situations, this helps us to really connect with Penny and want the best for her.

Chic-lit fans need to pick up this book, it is an entertaining, romantic, easy to read novel that you won't be disappointed by! I am already looking forward to reading the next book in this series as I am not ready to leave Penny's life just yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment