Monday 12 January 2015

Author Interview - Rebecca Pillsbury

I am delighted to have been able to ask Rebecca some questions about her novel Finding Ecstasy, being an author and a few other random questions. Hope you enjoy finding out a little bit more about her.


First of all, in three words please explain why everybody should read Finding Ecstasy.
To find ecstasy ;)

How did you get the idea for Finding Ecstasy? Is it based on your life?
The idea for the book came from a friend, who suggested I share my story of transformation in an effort to inspire others struggling with sexual repression and shame. At first I rejected the idea because it was so personal and taboo to talk about, but then I realized that is the reason I needed to share it.

How was your journey to becoming a writer?
It was my childhood dream to be a professional writer. I grew up writing short stories, poems, and keeping a journal. After college, I stopped writing creatively, and it wasn't until I got the idea for this book that I remembered my passion for writing. Once I started again, I could not stop. Now, I can’t imagine my future without writing. I am certain it is my soul’s calling, and I can’t deny that.

How did you decide on the genre of novels you were going to write?
I have always been drawn to non-fiction, as I've most often used writing as a tool for personal reflection and healing. Therefore, writing memoir (with a hint of self-help) was a natural progression for me. My sense of humour comes out most naturally in my writing, so I think there will always be a light-heartedness to my stories, even though I love to approach deeper spiritual and emotional concepts within them.

Did you read a lot as a child? If so do you think this has helped you in becoming a writer?
Yes! I have always been an avid reader. I remember coming home from the first day of first grade, and reading a book out loud to my mother. I had been so eager to learn how to string words together, and it was such a pleasure to finally be able to do it on my own. Reading has most definitely inspired my passion for writing. I can’t imagine being one without the other.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I love to travel, and in fact it is my travels that most often inspire my writing. I also love to dance. Music is a passion of mine, particularly blues. When listening to it, I find that I am able to access my soul on a deeper level, which is also when I feel most inspired to write.

Have you learnt anything new about yourself since becoming a writer?
I've learned that I can do what scares me the most. When we share what we are most afraid of, most ashamed of, the fear and the shame dissipates. We are able to then live a little lighter, a little freer. Vulnerability can be a great blessing. 

Is there anything you wanted your readers to take away from the novel?
Yes, the inspiration to do what scares them. To trust that life is best lived outside of our comfort zone.  

Is there anything you do for motivation when you are writing?
If I’m feeling discouraged or “not good enough,” I go back and read book reviews that I found particularly inspiring. I also have some short stories I wrote in my youth that teachers wrote comments on; I have kept them all these years as reminders that there are people who have always believed in me.

What book do you wish you could have written and why?
Well, I’d prefer to write my own books J But I do wish I had the success as other modern memoirists, such as Elizabeth Gilbert or Cheryl Strayed. I would love for my book to become a movie!

What do you think makes a good story?
Authenticity. Saying what most people are afraid to say. That is what will make people resonate most deeply with your words.

Do you have any favourite authors? Ones that you are inspired by or, just can’t get enough of their books?
Once again, Elizabeth Gilbert. Also Barbara Kingsolver and Dave Eggers.

What writing advice do you have for aspiring authors?
Write what scares you. And trust yourself. People will try to change the way you write. Most often, they have good intentions. Sometimes they will have great advice. But if it doesn't resonate with your heart and your soul, don’t listen to it. We were each given a unique voice for a reason.

Are you working on anything at the moment?
I am working on a book called “Saved by the Blues,” which is a compilation of personal stories about the healing power of blues music and dancing.


Thank you so much Rebecca for answering my questions, they're are some great answers and good advice! I am very much looking forward to reading more of your novels. 

                                                 

Buy Finding Ecstasy here: Amazon UK | Amazon US

No comments:

Post a Comment