Friday 17 October 2014

The Green Hills of Home by Emma Bennet


Gwen Jones, a young Welsh writer, is desperate to save the family farmhouse from being sold from under her critically ill mother and herself.

When she lands a lucrative three-book deal with an eminent publisher, she thinks her problems are all over. However, Gwen’s need to be near her sick mother means she’s unable to travel to London to work with her devilishly desirable editor, John Thatcher, and he must come and stay with her in Wales.

Handsome and eminently capable, cosmopolitan John is used to getting his own way and has plans for the future which certainly don’t include being distracted by pretty Welsh girls; nevertheless when he journeys into the country to work with Gwen it’s not long before he finds himself falling in love with her, as well as the house she’sso anxious to save.

But is John capable of loving anyone as much as his job?

And when he has to decide between his goals and Gwen, which will he chose?



Thank you to Emma Bennet for sending me a copy this book for review.

This is Emma’s debut novel but you wouldn't know at all, Emma is such a talented writer that you’d think she had been writing for years. She has the power to draw you in and make you want to keep on reading. 
I didn’t know too much about this book before I started reading and I’m so glad because I had no idea what was going to happen or where the book was going. Emma had the ability to capture your attention from the very beginning. 
I am an aspiring author myself so the whole idea of this book was great and I felt like I could really connect with Gwen. I love when authors have their characters as authors too as it makes you feel as though they have put parts of their own experiences into the book and you know that they know what they are talking about.
The description Emma has put into this book is amazing, you could picture every scene, character and surrounding in your head! Sometimes there is too much description in books but Emma gives us the perfect and needed amount.

I loved that although this was a romance, there wasn’t really a mention of this or falling in love in the book. The romance between Gwen and John is slowly developed and you actually don’t see it happening until late in the book, but once it was there, that was it. I loved seeing how their love for each other grew and you got to see how much they cared for one another, even if they didn't realise it.
You spend a lot of the novel with a ‘will they, won’t they’ battle going on in your head but it makes you enjoy the book so much more. The ending is a bit of a twist that you don't expect but it is also so magical, it makes you feel so happy and warm inside, it is just how you want to feel when you finish reading a book like this.

Gwen was a great character, she was so real and you felt like you could really relate to and connect with her. She was also a selfless, caring but strong woman, I loved how she didn't let John tell her what to do and always stood her ground when they didn't agree on something. She was independent and trying to manage visiting her sick mother, trying to save her house, working part time in a tea shop and editing her book.
I wasn’t really sure if I liked John or not at first, he seemed very arrogant, stuck in his ways and as though he felt he knew best always and he never seemed to show any feelings. However, as the book went on and he started to soften to Gwen and her dog Oscar, and realised there is more to life than work and that he is allowed to enjoy himself, I did start to really like him and hope that him and Gwen end up together.

I really enjoyed this novel and I would recommend it to anybody as I think even young and older people would love this. It is such a light hearted, romantic, lovely book that you can’t help but smile at. I read this book in a day because it is so short, easy to read and addictive. I am very much looking forward to seeing what is next from Emma.



1 comment: