Wednesday 1 October 2014

If I Stay by Gayle Foreman


Life can change in an instant.

A cold February morning . . . a snowy road . . . and suddenly all of Mia's choices are gone. Except one.

As alone as she'll ever be, Mia must make the most difficult choice of all.

Gripping, heartrending and ultimately life-affirming, If I Stay will make you appreciate all that you have, all that you've lost - and all that might be.




I have been wanting to read this book for a long time but I never got around to reading this, so when I saw the film was coming out I needed to read it and wow! I had to wait a day before writing this review just to come up with something to say about it. Not because it was bad, but because it is a breathtaking story that you want to never end. It is so emotional but so powerful and as the blurb says, life affirming!
This book is so short and easy to read that you can just fly through it, but not without your fair share of emotional highs and lows. Although I had heard before reading this book how emotional it was, I thought people might be exaggerating a little, they weren't! It is a heartbreaking book that you just can't put down.

After a tragic car accident claims the lives of Mia's parents and younger brother Teddy, Mia is the only one left (well kind of), she is in a coma but her spirit is awake, has left her body and is free to roam around the hospital halls. Through Mia's spirit we learn about her life through a combination of flashbacks and Mia explaining to us what is going on in the hospital. I loved that Mia had a perfectly ordinary life, ready to go to college, a boyfriend and a loving family, but then one tragic accident has turned her world upside down. Now she has to work out if she should give up and be with her family or stay and fight and who knows? Apart from being an orphan Mia is unsure of what her life will hold should she wake up.

Mia is an amazing character, she is strong, caring and realistic, she earns your love and respect instantly to the point where you are screaming at her to wake up and fight. We learn about Mia's parents through her flashbacks as they are taken away quite early on in the story, we learn that they are supportive and generous and really only want Mia to follow her dreams, whether that is music college or staying at home with her boyfriend Adam. Also they are such cool parents that everybody would want! Every character shows you why Mia should carry on living, even her parents.

This book is not just about death, it is mainly about love from every direction, there Mia and Adam, Mia's parents, Mia and her parents, Mia and Teddy, her grandparents, friends, family friends, there is so much love within the pages of this book. Each and every person giving Mia something to live for.

You don't know what is going to happen, whether Mia will wake up or not, until the very last page of the book (and I'm not going to tell you), but even then we don't know for sure, as brilliant yet annoyingly the book just stops. Which makes you want to run out and buy the sequel straight away. This book definitely makes you realise what you have and what you have lost and value your life.

I would be a little careful reading this book if you are quite sensitive to issues like death and car accidents, but Gayle deals with these in the most beautiful way. I felt like I was in a bit of a daze when I finished reading this book, like I didn't know what to do with myself as if a part of me had been taken away. I can't wait to read the sequel to this book and other books by Gayle Foreman.



No comments:

Post a Comment