Friday 21 August 2015

The Aubrey Rules by Aven Ellis


Some of the Aubrey Rules to Live By:
*If I’m going to indulge in French fries, I must add extra time to the treadmill the next day.
*Always keep your work and private life separate.
*Being open to new experiences will never involve eating kale.
*Never, ever date a professional athlete.

For Chicago social media professional Aubrey Paige, the rules are everything. So much so that Aubrey has painstakingly written her rules for living into a polka-dot Kate Spade notebook that she carries with her at all times. It’s her personal guidebook to living her life. These rules are the Holy Grail—ones never to be broken. They guide her actions for everything, from dealing with workplace drama to finding a great guy to date. After all, these are her own rules, built from her life experiences and observations. So they have to be perfect, right?


Or are they?


Because when Aubrey meets a cute Canadian, she suddenly finds her rules being tested and challenged in ways she never dreamed possible. Beckett Riley is the shy, quiet, determined captain of the Chicago Buffaloes, a hockey team on the verge of turning the corner to becoming a winning organization. He’s Aubrey's opposite, with so many qualities that Aubrey had listed as ones she’d never want in a man. 


Yet Aubrey finds herself dra
wn to Beckett in ways she’s never known. And when she unexpectedly finds herself working with Beckett, she wonders if rules are meant to be broken after all . . .

Regular readers of my blog will know how much I love Aven Ellis and her novels. Each time a new one arrives in my inbox (which I can't thank Aven enough for) I do a little squeal, so I fear I may be a bit biased in writing this review, but if like me you love romantic, chic-lit novels with hot guys, then you'll love it no matter what I say!
Yet again I read this book in a day because I find Aven's novels so enjoyable and addictive that it's impossible for me to put them down! I do kind of wish I hadn't though because I get so sad when they end! 

I loved Aubrey! She is so confident which I thought I would find annoying but it is in such a good way, she is in no way arrogant she just doesn't let herself be walked all over! She is real and somebody that I could relate to so easily. She has fat in places we all wish we didn't, she says the wrong thing, makes a fool of herself and eats too many fries, but what girl doesn't?! She is hilarious and the perfect lead character for this type of novel.
She has a rule book, written by herself, that she lives her life by and we get to see some of her rules at the beginning of each chapter, I loved how they were amended more and more throughout the book as we see Aubrey allow herself to break them, as we all know rules are meant to be broken!

As we know by now, Aven's novels are full of cute guys, a lot of them Hockey players and this one is no different, enter Beckett, who I am now completely in love with! We saw so many different sides to him throughout the book, the shy and awkward side in front of the camera but also the strong, determined side that made him a leader as the Captain of the Chicago Buffaloes. The side of him I fell in for was the way he was around Aubrey, we saw his sweet, romantic, nerdy side come out and how fantastic he is at planning date!
I love how Aven made him so awkward and shy in front of fans and interviews as it made us realise that although people are famous athletes or celebrities they are still just normal people trying to live their lives, they don't always know what to do with all of the attention they get.  You really feel for him and want to help him come out of his shell, but of course he has confident, doesn't-care-what-she-says Aubrey to do that for him. They are the perfect match, they accept each other's flaws and help each other to grow.

There is always a line in every one of Aven's books that makes me melt and I think after a lot of thought the one that has that effect in this book is when Beckett says:
"I guess the question is, do you still love me? Because I love you. I love you so much, and I’ve never loved anyone this way in my life. I love you, exactly the way you are, inside and out."
What girl doesn't want that said to her? Especially if it is coming from a hot athlete!

I absolutely loved the Breakfast At Tiffany's scene in the book, I ADORE Audrey Hepburn and the film so this made me love this book so much more! And of course the amount of romance in it made me want to jump into the book and take Aubrey's place! Jealous much!!

As always this book gets a massive 5 stars from me and I can't stress to you enough how much you need to read it! It is by far one of the best books I have read this year! It is released on 26th August so not long to wait at all! It is the perfect summer read and happily ever after seekers will adore this book!

Thank you Aven and I can't wait to see who and what book you make me fall in love with next!



See my reviews of Aven's previous novels here:



No comments:

Post a Comment